[ntp:questions] IFF autokey issue

Garrett Wollman wollman at bimajority.org
Tue May 8 17:10:08 UTC 2007

In article <slrnf40t8c.m6.kostecke at stasis.kostecke.net>,
Steve Kostecke  <kostecke at ntp.isc.org> wrote:

>I'm not sure why you would consider the server's trusted host parameters
>to be "unauthentic".

And they are made "trusted" by simply asserting that they are so
(i.e., by setting a bit in a self-signed "certificate")?  That's what
the documentation implies.

>You may wish to review the documentation before passing judgment.

Oddly enough, I have, several times, and I have never once been able
to get ntpd to actually behave usefully (never mind correctly) on the
basis of that documentation (or at least those parts that make any
sense at all).  ntpd is in dire need of a competent tech writer who
can actually understand Prof. Mills's writing and translate it into
language comprehensible to us mere mortals (including descriptions of
how to make standard configurations work with the various schemes, and
why you might want to, and which version of ntpd is actually required
in order for it to work).

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | The real tragedy of human existence is not that we are
wollman at csail.mit.edu| nasty by nature, but that a cruel structural asymmetry