[ntp:questions] all servers rejected

Marton Fabo mortee at ntp.isc.org
Thu May 17 19:58:15 UTC 2007

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

> VMWare or, at least VMWare ESX, wants to control the clock.  If the
> client operating systems are also trying to control the clock, chances
> are that nothing will work right!  If you configure VMWare to run ntpd
> things might just work a little better.

This is VMWare Workstation, and I don't recall to have seen any settings
regarding clock/time. The weird thing is that I occasionally run NetBSD
and Windows too in virtual machines using the same VMWare, and they
don't have any clock problems.

But how could ntpd be forced to accept servers? I've seen a reference to
a "true" option for servers in the config file, whic is supposed to
force them to "always survive the selection and clustering algorithms".
However, when I tried to use that, ntpd reported an unknown option for
the given line, and ignored the server altogether.

mortee