[ntp:questions] NTP + kernel frequency

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Thu Nov 8 20:54:11 UTC 2007

>I known now, in the "recen"t kernel the internal frequency will be to 250
>Mhz...
>With my gentoo it's not a problem for me because i make myself my kernel ...
>but if i take Mandriva or a another distribution how find this values ?

I assume you mean the scheduling clock which would be 250 Hz rather than
MHz.

One way is to look in the kernel souces.

Another way is to measure it.  Write a program that usleeps for
a microsecond and see how long it really takes.  (Do it in a loop
for 1000 tries and print out a histogram.)

There is often a double roundup.  Some code rounds the 1 uSec to
1 tick, and the next layer adds another tick since you are already
partway through the current tick.