[ntp:questions] Inexpensive OEM GPS units?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sun Nov 18 02:07:09 UTC 2007

Once upon a time, David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> said:
>Normally, finding any systematic offset would require the temporary use
>of a time source that was better than your normal time sources.  As I think
>you are using USB, which is likely to have a significant impact, you
>would also need to bypass this, either by temporarily feeding the system
>with time through a route with lower latency, or by outputting the
>system's idea of the time through a low latency route and comparing it
>outside of the system.

Okay, that's what I figured.

I've only got one serial port (and it is a console), so I don't have any
other way to connect but USB (also, I'm using a USB to serial adapter to
pull +5V from the USB port).  Everyone keeps saying that USB must be
bad, but I was trying to see just how much impact USB has.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>