[ntp:questions] Can anyone interpret these loopstats?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Sun Nov 25 07:25:54 UTC 2007

Danny Mayer wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> Thanks, Steve.  I stole a .rnd file off one of my other systems and
>> copied it.  We'll see if it makes any difference.  I've just given
>> the file full access to everyone, as Windows Vista is very
>> protective about programs writing in the root directory of a hard
>> disk.  The Windows OpenSSL seems to require C:\.rnd
>
> The locations that it looks for the file are fully described in
> html/hints/winnt.html
>
> Danny

Thanks, Danny.  On the Vista system I'm looking at, neither RANDFILE nor
HOME are defined (at least for my user account), so C:\.rnd is what is
used.  Would having the .RND file or not make any difference to the
performance of NTP?

By the way, with the Meinberg distribution, the page is here:

  \NTP\doc\HTML\build\hints\winnt.html

Defining that file seems to have made no difference though - sometimes the
timekeeping is excellent, and sometimes awful.  It doesn't seem to depend
on what I'm doing on the PC, and it has me really puzzled!

  http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/gemini_ntp.html

Checking the ntpq -p output shows all servers at 377 reach, 1024s poll,
and my local GPS stratum 1 server as the preferred clock with just 1.5msec
delay.

Cheers,
David