[ntp:questions] Can anyone interpret these loopstats?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Mon Nov 26 22:04:55 UTC 2007

Ryan Malayter wrote:
> On Nov 23, 1:08 pm, "David J Taylor"
> <david-tay... at blueyonder.not-this- bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
>> In the event log NTP is showing errors: "Unable to initialise the
>> .rnd file", but I don't think that's key to the operation of NTP
>> itself.  The NTP service shows as running, and the W32time service
>> as stopped.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Puzzled from Edinburgh (a.k.a. David)
>
> What are the Power Options settings in Vista? Can you try creating a
> custom power profile which prevents processor power management (in
> Vista, every default power profile - even the "High Performance"
> profile  - seems to use processor frequency scaling.)
>
> If things work fine with processor frequency scaling turned off, that
> would be an interesting.
>
> Besides processor power managmeent, the power management options for
> the Indexing service as well as the multimedia power options could
> potentially affect ntpd, I suppose. (The former because of lost
> interrupts, and I know the Meinberg build uses multimedia timers on
> windows).

Ryan,

Some interetsing points there - I've just changed to the High Performance
plan and, while there are no BIOS or Processor settings there (even with
the Show Me Everything enabled), the HD turn-off time was 20 minutes by
default.  So I've changed that to Never.

Let's see what that does....

Thanks,
David