[ntp:questions] Home Time Server

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Sat Oct 13 15:12:15 UTC 2007

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007, Evandro Menezes wrote:

> With accurate time references freely available in the ether (WWV, GPS,
> TV and CDMA), no clock in existance should have to be set manually,
> ever.  Yet, even in this day and age, car clocks, VCRs, DVRs and
> stereos blink 12:00.  And with virtually all PCs connected at least
> part-time to the Internet, it's unacceptable that many of them display
> the time of by many minutes, if not even the wrong century.

Well, some people do that intentionally because they have been running
a 30-day demo version of some expensive software package for the past
5 years.

> Now, there are many fine time servers available for networks.
> However, I wonder if with the increasing popularity of the NTP pool if
> some home units wold make sense.  For instance, there are many wall
> clocks synchronized by WWV.  If they had a WiFi interface, they could
> be a poorman's S1 NTP server (hello, La Crosse?).  At least some NTP
> pool aficionados would consider getting one, yes? ;-)

With people worrying more about the power consumption from all those
devices (TV's, VCR's, ovens, etc.) that continue to draw power while
turned "off", it would be nice if such devices would set their clocks
automatically each time they are turned on.

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>