[ntp:questions] Can a clock drift be too big for ntpd?

Patrick Nolan pln at glast2.Stanford.EDU
Wed Oct 24 19:24:00 UTC 2007

On 2007-10-20, Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> wrote:
> The hardware clock in a PC is made of exceedingly cheap components. A
> common quartz wristwatch is a better clock.

I have noticed this.  Until WWV-controlled clocks came out, my most
accurate timepiece was a $20 Casio wristwatch.  When the first one
broke I got another which was just as accurate.  It really bugs me
that clocks in computers and cars are not as good.  I'm amazed that
clock radios, plugged into the 60 Hz supply, aren't as good.
Sometimes I wish I had an old-fashioned motorized electric clock