[ntp:questions] More Granularity in the US in the NTP Pool

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 9 13:45:05 UTC 2007

evandro at mailinator.com wrote:
> FL may be far from ME, but it's closer than CA.  But I get your
> point.  I just suggested time-zones for North America because there
> might be hesitation on the pool maintainers to add 50 states...
>
> Of course, continents with small counties, such as Europe, already
> achieve the granularity that I'm after.  So I wouldn't say that all
> countries need more granularity.  Then again, other large countries
> such as Russia, Canada, China, Brazil, etc, could also benefit from a
> scheme with more granularity, whether states/provinces or time-zones.
>
> Either way, I believe that it would be an improvement over continents
> or countries in some cases.

An alternative might be for the requester to be able to say, I'm in El
Paso, TX and get the best available servers for El Paso.  I wouldn't
hold my breath, however.  There's a LOT of hard work between most
brilliant ideas and the successful execution thereof.

If you really care, the best route is a hardware reference clock; e.g. a
GPS receiver or, if you get a solid signal from Fort Collins, CO, a WWV
or WWVB receiver.  That makes you a stratum 1 server!  A GPS receiver
with a PPS signal should be accurate to within 100ns or better.  After
your computer mangles the signal, it should be accurate to 100us or better.