[ntp:questions] Errors in the syslog - PPS issues?

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Fri Sep 14 00:29:40 UTC 2007

Well it was worth a shot. I've seen some strange things using the kernel's
hardpps, usually you get better results with NTP's as it averages more data.
I currently don't have a GPS hooked up to my FreeBSD box or I could let you
know the output, but IIRC when you don't set the fudge flag you don't see
the PPS things where the NANO and other text is, but it does use the PPS
signal.

> I have done that and it does not seem to make a difference.
> If fact, if I restart the daemon, I still see the PPS signal in
> ntptime and ntpdc, but if I reboot, I don't seen any PPS information at
all.

I'm assuming you have checked the GPS receiver to ensure that it is tracking
satellites all the time? AFAIK the Garmin will continue to give a PPS pulse
even with no satellites so it could drift on its own.

Perhaps it has something to do with the Transmeta CPU / architecture on that
HP thin client?

You said you modified your /boot/device.hints file already? Changing the
serial port's FIFO?

i.e. hint.sio.0.flags="0x12"