[ntp:questions] Reading the RTC

Serge Bets serge.bets at NOSPAM.laposte.invalid
Fri Sep 28 15:09:47 UTC 2007

Hello David,

 On Thursday, September 27, 2007 at 22:37:53 +0100, David Woolley wrote:

> This is arguably off topic as manipulationg the RTC is incompatible
> with running ntpd on Linux, at least when using the kernel clock
> discipline code. Under these conditions, the kernel updates the RTC
> every 11 minutes.

One can still use hwclock to set a hopefully good enough system time
before ntpd startup: The ntpd daemon likes to comfortably start already
well in phase. And one can also choose to disable the ugly eleven
minutes mode, via config or patch.

When I power-up my computer in the morning, hwclock routinely sets the
system at some few milliseconds of UTC. The ntpd daemon then slews that
quite quickly, and never had to step. Looking at peerstats, first poll
today morning had offset -7.2ms, yesterday morning -1.4ms, and the day
before -0.9ms. Nights become a little bit colder. ;-)

Serge.