[ntp:questions] NTP Third party client on Windows OS ?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Fri Sep 28 19:02:46 UTC 2007

Evandro Menezes wrote:
[]
> I think I found out why NTP couldn't manage.  I figured that as it was
> stepping every 20min by 0.45s, approximately, it would be the
> equivalent of an error of roughly 350PPM, or well within the
> capabilities of NTP.
>
> So I checked out the contents of the drift file: 450PPM.  In other
> words, NTP was over compensating!  I deleted the drift file and fired
> up NTP after stopping W32TIME.  It's now keeping the time in sync
> pretty well: http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/3609/peerstatscf6.png
> (never mind the spike, when the system lost network connection).
>
> The only reason I can think of how NTP got such a huge drift was
> during installation.  Although the package states that its stopping
> W32TIME, somehow it didn't, as I noticed a few hours later.  A short
> time, yet it seems to have done damage enough.
>
> Thanks.

Evandro,

I've seen this as well, but never been able to tie it down.  The drift
file goes to a stupidly high value, and the nest solution is to replace it
with one with a near-correct value.  Why NTP does this I don't know -
perhaps after a large step (I saw something like this during the recent
leap-second fiasco).

Cheers,
David