[ntp:questions] Refreshing IP Addresses

Evandro Menezes evandro at mailinator.com
Fri Sep 28 21:08:52 UTC 2007

On Sep 28, 3:03 pm, hal-use... at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net (Hal
Murray) wrote:

> One good time would be when the server stops responding.
> Or sends you a kiss-of-death packet.  It might take
> some special DNS hacking to answer the question "Is this
> server still in the pool?"

It seems to me that it doesn't make sense to keep tied to IP addresses
when certain events occur, and KOD or unreachable are certainly good
opportunities to resolve names again, with perhaps beneficial side-
effects to the NTP pool.

It would work pretty well too if an option such as openNTP's "servers"
were added.  I find that if one day all someone has to do is to
specify "ntp" for the "servers" options and thus get a bunch of the
ISP's NTP servers, it's going to be a better day than today.