[ntp:questions] Time reset

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Thu Apr 3 22:44:15 UTC 2008

"jkvbe" <jkvbe at NOSPAMyahoo.com> writes:

>The ntp log file shows when NTP steps the time. But then the potential harm
>is already done. Especially if the time moves backward, our server might
>have serious trouble. Is there a log event which indicates that the time is
>going to be reset in order to enable us to take appropriate action before
>the actual reset?

On what kind of system? HOw big a step? ntp should NOT have to step the
time except maybe when it is started up on bootup. If it steps the time.
then there is something very wrong in your system. Find out what it is.
The only log event might be to notice that the offset is say >50ms. Use
that as your warning.