[ntp:questions] frequency adjusting only

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 23 10:27:59 UTC 2008

maxime louvel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> - my network contains only one switch, and all the node are in the same
> room.
> Thus I don't think cabling is a problem. I still have to check the latency
> of the switch.
>
> - I can't use a GPS or other material. I though I wouldn't need any because
> I don't won't a great accuracy with the real time, just between my nodes. I
> also think it would have been easier and better to have a common high
> precision time source (GPS)... But I can't afford that ;)

A GPS timing receiver can be purchased for less than $100 US! (Garmin
GPS 18LVC).  You must be able to site an antenna where it will have an
unobstructed view of the sky.

Having an ultra stable source of time, such as a GPS receiver has a
noticeable effect on the closeness of the synchronization you can achieve.

<snip>