[ntp:questions] ntp.h ISBADADR(srcadr) macro

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Mon Apr 28 02:29:57 UTC 2008

Andrew Stone wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I currently need to use ntp where the server for several internal
clients is a 127.x.x.x address, not 127.127.x.x.

I think you misunderstand NTP's use of the 127.127.x.x space. It is only
used for refclocks and nothing else. If you don't have a refclock
attached to the server, you don't need to know about these addresses.
You must *NOT* use them in any other way. 127.x.x.x is not allowed to be
used for any other purpose. You should use other private address space.
See Frank's message.

> I noticed it is fairly easy for me to modify the ISBADADR macro in
ntp.h to allow these types of addresses. Is this the only change required?

This is not allowed. See Frank's message on this.

> Also, what reservations do you guys have about changing this?

We won't be changing this.

Danny