[ntp:questions] Can i control the NTP Sync?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 06:34:33 UTC 2008

Unruh wrote:
[]
> ntp knows nothing about time zones. It gets the remote time in UTC.
> time zone info is all handled by your local machine. On unix/linux/..
> (sensible machnes) the machine time is ALWAYS UTC. time routines do
> the translation using a file called /etc/localtime. On windows it is
> more difficult, since Microsoft has never heard of timezones, so you
> have to kludge it yourself. Exactly how your machine or your
> implimentation of ntp kludges it I do not know.

No, you do not need to "kludge it yourself" with Windows - there is a set
of routines built into Windows you can call if you wish to get local time,
and a set of registry values provided and updated with Windows which allow
it to keep local time in just the same way as other systems.  If you have
to intervene manually you are doing something wrong.  Windows, like many
modern OSes, works in UTC internally.

David