[ntp:questions] NTPD concurrent clients limit

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sun Aug 17 01:23:26 UTC 2008

Phil wrote:

> I may have an application that could conceivably hit timeservers by the tens
> of thousands, and potentially far far greater.  It would be from different
> ip's but my concern, should that be the case, it may or could be considered
> a rouge script or equipment causing an attack. I certainly don't want you
> and the rest of the Calvary to be hunting me down.  If we follow through on
> this project, we intend to use our own timeservers not only to keep the
> Calvary at bay; I can have better and more accurate control using gps
> disciplined rubidium timebases for the servers.

This concerns me. If you have an application that needs NTP server
sources requiring those kinds of volumes you should be deploying your
own NTP servers or negotiating deals with other service providers in
those countries that you will be delivering your services. Neither the
stratum 1 or stratum 2 or the pool servers are designed to meet the
needs of high-volume private applications.

Danny