[ntp:questions] NTP Drifts +ve and -ve

Arul Murugan umarul_it at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 18 07:00:53 UTC 2008

Hi,We are using NTP4, when CPU is very busy some of the UDP packets dropped by the kernel, so the local clock drifts 60 milliseconds from the time server. From that point NTP keeps drifts +ve and -ve for 2 to 3 three days to become stable. The graph looks a like a sine wave oscillating and reaching zero after 3 days.My question are:1. Why NTP drifting +ve and -ve?2. Why should NTP taking 3 days for correcting 60 milliseconds?3. Is this a problem or it is expected? Regards,Arul