[ntp:questions] Rejecting Good Peers

Cal Webster cwebster at ec.rr.com
Tue Dec 2 22:58:40 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 21:29 +0000, Steve Kostecke wrote:
> On 2008-12-02, Cal Webster <cwebster at ec.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > One of my NTP servers (Server D below) is rejecting both of its peers.
> > They, on the other hand, each have consistent candidate status for both
> > of *their* peers. This rejecting server does pick the master server as
> > it's reference source but has no candidates listed. I don't see anything
> > that would cause this.
>
> ntpd is pickier about peer associations than server associations.
>
> Server D is correctly rejecting peers that are synced to it's sys_peer.
>
> >=============
> > NTP Versions:
> >=============
> >
> > Server A: ntp-4.1.2-0.rc1.2
> > Server B: ntp-4.2.0.a.20040617-6.el4
> > Server C: ntp-4.2.0.a.20040617-6.el4
> > Server D: ntp-4.2.4p2-6.fc8
>
> Orphan Mode was introduced in version 4.2.2 ... so A, B, & C don't have
> it. You should be seeing complaints about Orphan Mode in the syslog of
> those three machines.

Yup, Server A complains about 'keyword "tos" unknown', whereas B & C say
'keyword "orphan" unknown'.

It sure would be nice if there were more documentation about Orphan
mode. There is nothing in the man or info pages for any version. The
only scraps I could find were a short blurb on the "associations" page
at ntp.org and an archived mailing list post.

> >========
> > Configs:
> >========
[...]

Thank you for the corrected config lines. I'm assuming that staggering
the stratum of the undisciplined local clocks will settle any ambiguity
if the master server dies.