[ntp:questions] Should ntpd log failure to syslog?

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Thu Dec 11 09:35:26 UTC 2008

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

> The source to ntpd is available!  If you wish it to write something to
> syslog, please feel free to download the source, make the necessary
> modifications, and try it.  It should not be too difficult.  Making it
> work for EVERY platform is going to be a massive project.  What about
> platforms that don't *have* syslog?  I don't think Windows does and I'm
> fairly sure that VMS does not although their may be reasonable
> facsimiles in both cases.

I'll think about it.

There were a couple of other things on my mind at the time
when "working" ntp was current for me ( customer is out of funding
so I am busy elsewhere )

1. log errors to syslog
2. have ntpd listen to signals ( poll now, reenumerate interfaces, ..)
3. be able to strip out all "attached device" ref clock drivers
	for a minimal "slave"

uwe