[ntp:questions] ntpd vs ntpq!!!!!!!!

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Dec 15 03:39:29 UTC 2008

On 2008-12-13, Varrun Ashok <varrunashok at yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have a serious problem while running ntpd-4.2.4p4. While i type ntpd
>-D 3 it says wildcard interface #0 0.0.0.0 disabled. Is this wrong or
>the right message?

It don't have that version installed any where, but I believe that is
correct.

> then i kill ntpd
> then i restart it and type ntpq -p
> the table headings appear but nothing appears beneath it

What is in your ntp.conf?

> when i do a ps -ef i realize that ntpd has been killed automatically
> as soon as i run ntpq -p.

I've never heard of 'ntpq -p' killing a running ntpd process.

> then i try ntpd and then ntpdc -p
> under the field(column) local both the addresses mentioned are 127.0.0.1!

If ntpdc -p works so should ntpq -p.

> actually i am using a gps clock and ntpq -p must give me 0.0.0.0 in
> the row showing GPS details.

I don't understand what you are saying here.

Can you please post your ntp.conf and 'ntpq -p' taken shortly after ntpd
is started and again after ntpd had been running for about 10 minutes?

Also please tell us what OS you are using.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>