[ntp:questions] basic questions about the leapsecond

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Thu Dec 18 06:54:25 UTC 2008

moreiras at nic.br (Antonio M. Moreiras) writes:

>So, if I understand, I have to:

>1 - download ftp://time.nist.gov/pub/leap-seconds.3427142400
>2 - rename the file to ntp.leapseconds and put it in /etc
>3 - stop and start ntpd
>4 - verify the warning bits

And it sounds like you should also make sure that you are running the
development version of ntp.

Alternatively, make sure that you have a majority of your servers as ntp
sources which have the leapseconds bit set.

>It should be done at primary servers and the others would get
>automatically the file if using autokey.

>It could be done also at any stratum if one don't trust the references
>regarding this issue.

>Don't having the file, and if not using autokey and references with the
>information, the client will relay at information from the majority of
>survivor references. If they warn the leapsecond, the client will get it
>correctly.

>Is this correct?

All I can say is that om my machine which has one PPP source (no leapsecond
warning) and two external servers (one stratum 1 tick.usask.ca and the other
stratum 2 ntp.ubc.ca), my machine has the leapsecond warning bit set.