[ntp:questions] ntp survey

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Tue Dec 30 17:32:57 UTC 2008

"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> writes:

>Tim Shoppa wrote:
>> On Dec 29, 10:47 pm, ma... at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) wrote:
>>> Antonio,
>>>
>>> If you are really from nic.br please use your email address from that
>>> domain. It is unacceptable to use a gmail account for such notifications.
>>>
>>> Danny
>>
>> This is usenet, where anyone can set their "from" address to anything
>> they want, and posting with an E-mail address that is adequately spam-
>> filtered makes perfect sense.
>>
>> I'm not sure there's any real requirement that anyone has to announce
>> any particular e-mail address to run a NTP survey. He made the
>> methodology clear, said where the queries will be coming from, and I
>> think it's good that surveys continue and, like Antonio and his
>> collaborators do, they make the details and results public.
>>
>> Tim.

>There is no requirement that he even announce his survey!  It is polite
>for him to do so but no more than that.

Well, Under various laws he may be guilty of hacking/cracking/illegal use
fo computer time/... unless he gets permission. There has at least been a
strong feeling by many expressed that access does not imply permission. Ie,
just because the ntp port is open does not mean that anyone has permission
to use that port (eg is port scanning legal?). It is of course a complete legal can of worms.
But announcing the survey here might be useable as a partial defense  if
the worms wriggled out of the can.