[ntp:questions] strange behaviour of ntp peerstats entries.

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Fri Feb 1 07:40:29 UTC 2008

Steve Kostecke wrote:

> There's nothing stopping him from implementing what he considers to be a
> solution himself. He could even distribute his modified version of NTP
> to anyone who wanted to use it.

Why should he do that when something already exists, although it is not
technically NTP?  As I see it, he is trying benefit ntpd by encouraging
it to behave as well as the alternative that he is using.

There are two ways that people can vote by actions:

1) to implement the features in the (open source) original;
2) to switch to an alternative that already has the behavour they
consider desirable.

You cannot say that the criticism is invalid because people choose
op;tion (2).

There is also a number (3), which is to be aware that there is a problem
but be prepared to live with it.  I'm probably in that category.

There is probably also 1a, which is what resulted in the alternative,
which is to implement a competitor, more or less from scratch, which
only has the features one considers important.