[ntp:questions] xntpd fails aix 5.3

jen jenmead at comcast.net
Tue Feb 5 21:02:28 UTC 2008

On Feb 5, 11:40 am, jen <jenm... at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi, I was asked to look into a problem with our time servers. Both of
> them p520s, both running AIX 5.3 and the version for xntp is "xntpdc
> version=3.4y". My ntp.conf file as follows:
>
> broadcastclient
> driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
> tracefile /etc/ntp.trace
> server time.nist.gov prefer
> server 192.43.244.18
>
> One server starts up fine, the other gives an error and closes right
> away. Here is the error from the /var/adm/daemon.log file:
> Feb 4 15:09:52 vantsmsvr01 daemon:notice xntpd893098: 3.4y
> Feb 4 15:09:52 vantsmsvr01 daemon:err|error xntpd893098: tickadj or
> tick unknown, exiting
>
> So, anyone have any ideas? I don't know what it is.
>
> Regards,
> Jen

Hi,

IBM has recommended a reboot of the server after running this command:

bosboot -ad /dev/ipldevice

I have ran the command and am now waiting for a reboot window on the
server. After all the research and comments I read out there, the most
useful one was a translated page from German that told me my server
was high... Too funny. But it mentioned a broken connection to a
kernel module that was probably done during a patch or upgrade that
wasn't rebooted after the install (which IBM concurred on). Could be,
I have only been here a few months and from the history of this
server, ntp has never successfully worked. I will update this link
after I reboot.

Jen