[ntp:questions] ntpdate.c unsafe buffer write

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Sat Feb 9 11:07:25 UTC 2008

David L. Mills wrote:
> Harlan,
>
> You make some good points. However, if folks want SNTP from here I think
> they would prefer it in its own distribution rather than bundle it with
> the huge NTP distribution. You can make a strong argument to host here

I don't think you are ever going to get rid of ntpdate from the
distribution (as supplied by packagers and vendors) until ntpd offers a
mode which sets the time within about one second of being started.  I'm
not convinced that SNTP will displace ntpdate for this purpose.  People
don't want to delay boot sequences, but they also don't want to start
applications until the time has been set.