[ntp:questions] NTP on local network

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Tue Feb 12 22:11:06 UTC 2008

noosh wrote:
> ntpq> rv 12516
> status=9014 reach, conf, 1 event, event_reach,
> srcadr=MAIL, srcport=123, dstadr=192.168.4.18, dstport=123, leap=00,
> stratum=2, precision=-6, rootdelay=31.250, rootdispersion=10932.175,

stratum 2 is inconsistent with your claim that the server is
synchronized to GPS.  On the other hand, stratum 2 and a very high root
dispersion are indications that the server is running a copy of w32time
which no longer has a valid source of time.

The real ntpd should not be claiming a valid stratum with such a high
root dispersion.  It is the root dispersion which makes the server
unacceptable.  It is an estimate of the error due to running for a long
time with no valid time inputs.

Precision -6 is an indication of using Windows as a time server,
although  I'm not sure that it is a w32time indicator.  A good Unix
server should have a precision of -20 or better, these days.

> filtoffset= 3604321 3604321 3604312 3604321 3604321 3604321 3604321

Offset is also a problem, unless you use the -g option, ntpd will abort
if it ever gets an acceptable root dispersion.