[ntp:questions] flipping between stratum 1 clocks regularily

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Tue Feb 19 22:42:27 UTC 2008

mmoore0011 at hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've recently been provided with 4 "highly accurate" ntp servers that
> are using GPS as their primary synchronization source.  Well, 2 of the
> hosts are using GPS (stratum 1) and the other two are syncing to those
> (stratum 2).  I've been going around configuring all 4 hosts in my
> ntp.conf and am starting to notice that my machines are flipping back
> and forth between the two stratum 1s.  I don't think this is
> desirable.

Do they always have *'s or +'s on the ntpq peers display.  If so, I
believe that they will be applying exactly the same time correction as
if they always had the same pattern of *'s and +'s.   That's because the
time correction is a weighted average of all those time sources, which
are so marked.

The hopping only affects the reference identity and certain quality
metrics that are passed to clients.