[ntp:questions] Leap second functional question

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Wed Feb 20 08:26:22 UTC 2008

Nero Imhard wrote:
> Both UTC and TAI count SI-seconds, but you seem to differentiate between
> the two. How you want to express durations "in UTC" or "in TAI" is
> unclear to me and I prefer avoid it altogether.

IMHO both UTC and TAI have their advantages, depending on the application.

While UTC is a better choice to use time stamps / calendar dates across leap
seconds (i.e Jan 1 00:00:00 =  Dec 1 00:00:00 + (31*86400) TAI is preferred
if correct time _intervals_ are required, even across a leap second.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren