[ntp:questions] Issues with w32tm on AD network

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Fri Feb 22 02:51:07 UTC 2008

Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> 	Hi,
>
> I have had issues keeping accurate time on W32tm using an Active
> Directory based network with just Windows servers.  I have a Linux
> workstation, and NTP on that workstation keeps loosing the time, and
> going to Stratum 16.  Similarly, there are Cisco routers on the
> network, which also do likewise.
>
> I am using the NTP pool, but have done this for years on a Linux
> system with no problems.
>
> Should I think about switching to NTPD on Windows, and if I do this,
> will it cause an issue with both this and W32tm running at the same
> time?

Yes. w32time needs to be disabled, you cannot run both. The Meinberg
installer does this for you and if you choose to uninstall NTP I believe
it will reenable it.

> Are there any GPS systems I could hook up to the Windows domain
> controller, and configure W32tm to use this?

Yes. Trimble, Palisade, NMEA, Jupiter, and HOPF (DCF77) Serial and PCI
are built for Windows. I cannot tell you much about them but the code is
built for them.

Danny