[ntp:questions] Leap second functional question

sla29970 at gmail.com sla29970 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 07:50:48 UTC 2008

On Feb 21, 5:30 pm, Unruh <unruh-s... at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> >> Having ntp run on TAI would certainly be simpler, but would of course make
> >> the time keeping on the system much more complicated.
> >That question has already been discussed at length in this newsgroup.
>
> And will keep getting discussed since there is no resolution which is
> uniformly positive.

No, but the one I recently espoused in the LEAPSECS group
http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/leapsecs/2008-February/000190.html
allows for a uniform underlying broadcast time scale without leap
seconds, those being accorded equal status with politically-mandated
time zone shifts, meaning they would go in zoneinfo rather than in the
kernel.  It is also in accord with the results of the colloquium on
UTC held in Torino in 2003.