[ntp:questions] classic version 3 bug?

Tom Smith smith at cag.zko.hp.com
Wed Feb 27 11:39:06 UTC 2008

Edmund Lau wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I seem to remember that ntp version 3 had a bug where if one of its
> servers was offline during initialization, ntpd would skip it and no
> longer poll the server even though the server comes back up later.  Was
> this an actual bug?  Can someone point me to the docs (or bug report).
> Or was I dreaming this up?
>
> Thanks

I don't recall that to be the case. However, in version 3 OR 4,
if you use a name for the server and the name can't be resolved to an address
during initialization, the behavior is as you describe. This can happen
if the DNS server is inaccessible and the NTP server's name is not
resolvable through the hosts file or some other means.

-Tom