[ntp:questions] NTP vs chrony comparison (Was: oscillations in ntp clock synchronization)

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Thu Jan 24 09:07:33 UTC 2008

Unruh wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> writes:
>
>> chrony falls at the first hurdle for me - there appears to be no
>> native Windows implementation.
>
> Correct. chrony is not implimented on nearly as many platforms as ntp.
>
> There were plans once upon a time, but life got in Curnoe's way.
> Anyway, I am NOT advocating everyone change to chrony. I am trying to
> understand the clock discipline algorithm. It uses a lot of the
> special
> features of linux.

It prevents me from making a comparative test.  In general, NTP has worked
well for me, but I have seen behaviour sometimes when the drift file seems
to get stuck near one of the limits and NTP can't fix it.  I suspect
that's a programming rather than a fundamental algorithm error.  Here's
what I get, which is quite good enough for me (apart from the Vista PC):

  http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/daily_ntp.html

Cheers,
David