[ntp:questions] Ruh, roh. Leap Second?

Peter Laws plaws at ou.edu
Thu Jul 3 14:00:23 UTC 2008

Martin Burnicki wrote:

> If ntpd had logged the source from which it had received the leap second
> announcement then we would have a clue ...

Which would be helpful.

Looks like I had at least 14 systems report a leap second insertion.

All of them get time from either of two sets of peered systems I maintain.
Both of those sets get their time from the aforementioned GPS clocks (2
TymServe 2100 GPS clocks and another unknown GPS clock).  One set also uses
louie.udel.edu and ntp1.kansas.net, while the other does NOT.

Both sets of peers got leap second insertions.

All are running RHEL 4 or 5 and are reasonably current on patches.  None
use anything but the NTP version distributed with RHEL.

Since one set of peers only uses the three GPS clocks as references, is it
reasonable to assume that GPS is the source of the leap second?

Or might it be something related to the GPS clock units themselves?  One of
the TymServes has the last firmware available, while the other doesn't.
The other is, as mentioned, unknown.

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
plaws at ou.edu