[ntp:questions] ntpdate with auth

Grzegorz Daniluk lin_g at o2.pl
Wed Jul 23 16:34:33 UTC 2008

Steve Kostecke pisze:
> On 2008-07-23, Grzegorz Daniluk <lin_g at o2.pl> wrote:
> You're complicating matters by using ntpdc.
>
> Just edit the server lines in ntpd.conf and restart ntpd. If you're
> using iburst on the other server lines ntpd will be ready to answer
> polls about 15 seconds after a warm restart.
>
> maxpoll 4 == 16 seconds
> maxpoll 5 == 32 seconds
> maxpoll 6 == 64 seconds
>
> and so on

Helo,
I know that I can do it by editing ntp.conf and restarting ntpd, I also
know what the numbers next to 'maxpoll' mean :) but thank you of course
for advice. My problem is that I don't want to restart ntpd because I
need that deamon to be a time server too (it has few time sources
without 'noselect' option). That's why I'm trying to use ntpdc and its
'addserver' option. My problem is that when I'm using it I can't add
server with 'noselect' option which I need very much. Or maybe there is
another way to change maxpoll with ntpdc instead of using 'addserver'.

Grzegorz Daniluk