[ntp:questions] NTP jitter very large

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Fri Jun 6 20:54:39 UTC 2008

stephan at newace.ca wrote:

> When starting the ntp service, the time is initially set correctly
> using ntpdate but after a while, the time will be offset by several

The jitter is the result of the huge offsets, not the other way round.

> hours. The longer ntp is allowed to run, the larger the offset appears
> to be. It seems to level off around 6 hours offset.

You have a very weird mechanism if the system suddenly stops drifting,
although you maybe have a temperature dependent hardware fault.

Although your problem is not an ntpd one, I do agree with the comments
others have made about using the local clock, and would add that, where
its use is appropriate, you should arrange for it to be outvoted by
servers that are running with the correct time.