[ntp:questions] NTP shows all servers in condition "reject"

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Thu Jun 12 07:01:28 UTC 2008

Steve Kostecke wrote:

> I've compared the copy of the message in the questions archive and a
> decoded copy of the message that was delivered to our primary upstream
> server. Both are identical.

Was it already broken then?  You seem to have quoted from it as though
it wasn't broken, which suggests not; the nature of the damage is such
that any MIME capable tool would be unable to compensate for the error.

> So you'll need to cast aspersions elsewhere.

If it wasn't broken before reaching the gateway, it got broken on the
common path between the gateway and both me and Google.  So, if it
wasn't already broken, and the gateway is not MIME decoding the body, or
adding a bogus header, and given the importance of the Google archive,
the gateway's USENET injection point needs to be moved so that there are
no broken USENET relays between it and Google.

This is the path to Google:

and this is the path to me:

Assuming that:
1) there aren't two different servers breaking the article in the same way;
2) it wasn't broken on input to isc.org:

it looks like the only possible sources of damage are:

lists.ntp.org (the gateway?)
psp2.ntp.org, and
news.isc.org

all of which seem to me to be owned by ISC.

I seem to remember a lot of confusion being caused, in the past, by
another article that was damaged in a similar way, but can't remember
whether the cause was ever diagnosed.

(You can see Google's broken copy at:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.time.ntp/msg/6f1ead8cdd0b0b4b?dmode=source

Follow the "view parsed" link to see what it looks like in a MIME
capable reader.)