[ntp:questions] OT: Solaris help - TOD service

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Fri Jun 13 08:51:29 UTC 2008

David Woolley wrote:
> Martin Burnicki wrote:
>

>> I'm not familiar wit TOD, but just a few words to inetd:
>>
> Note that the really basic time services like daytime are implemented
> internally within inetd; inetd is the time server for those protocols.
> I don't know what is meant by TOD here, but it might actually mean the
> ASCII or binary time provided by inetd.

Thanks, David and Martin.

As I understand it, TOD here refers to a cable modem making a TCP or UDP
request to port 13 on a server.

Is there any good reason for inetd "to be switched off as a security
measure"?  Could the TOD service be provided stand-alone, instead of
within inetd?  Perhaps not....

Of course, a more relevant question could be:  Why aren't the cable modems
using NTP?  My cable modem is a Motorola SB5101E, by the way.

  http://broadband.motorola.com/catalog/product_documents/533177-001-a-SB5101E-6-2006.pdf

  http://download.modem-help.co.uk/mfcs-M/Motorola/Drivers/sb5101/Manuals/User-Guides/

Thanks,
David