[ntp:questions] 1 Machine, 2 NICs, 2 Instances of ntpd; Possible?

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Mon Mar 10 22:35:53 UTC 2008

Steve Kostecke wrote:
> On 2008-03-10, Johnson, John-P63914 <John.Johnson at gdc4s.com> wrote:
>
>> I want one ntpd instance to discipline the local clock with time from
>> servers on network A. I want the other instance to serve the local
>> time to clients on network B.

If you had two instances, the B side instance would have to be
configured to serve the local clock, which would mean that it would be
claiming a falsely high time quality.  Part of the information
transmitted downstream, is the cumulative estimate of errors received
from upstream.  It would also mean that failures of the A side would
never be communicated to the B side (this is a problem with using the
local clock driver even in more conventional configurations).

> Once instance of ntpd is all that is necessary to perform both of these
> tasks at the same time.

I quite agree.