[ntp:questions] SNTP server + ntpd 4.2.4 client

Noob root at localhost.invalid
Fri Mar 14 14:03:08 UTC 2008

Hello,

I've been running ntpd 4.2.4 to synchronize my system clock using
remote stratum 2 servers as a reference. (The RTT to these servers is
in the 30-50 ms range.) The accuracy is in the 1-2 ms range, based on
the reported offset.

I've been asked to evaluate the following time server, in order to
reach a better accuracy than what the current setup provides.

http://www.heoldesign.com/index.php?id=58

(AFAIU, this time server implements SNTP, not the full NTP.)

The idea would be to put this (stratum 1) time server in the same LAN
as my box, and add it my ntp.conf. (The RTT on the LAN is on the order
of 100 µs.)

Will it work?

Is it a problem that the time server only implements SNTP?

What kind of accuracy may I expect?

Regards.