[ntp:questions] Can we write NTP server using c#

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Tue May 27 08:29:35 UTC 2008

Danny Mayer wrote:
> David Woolley wrote:
>
>> Once you have an NTP client, as against an SNTP one, writing a server is
>> a relatively trivial exercise.
>
> That makes no sense. There is no such think as just an NTP client. An
> NTP client is both a client and a server.

That makes no sense.  My point is that, in practice, that is the case,
so if he has third party code for a client, one would think he would
have code for a server, already.  However, it is fairly trivial to cut
out the server code from the reference implementation and still have a
working client.  Simply ignoring client and symmetric packets will
effectively disable the server function in ntpd.

It's not clear whether his client is one he is written, whether it is
actually in C#, and even whether it is really an NTP client at all.
It's possible that he has some third party SNTP client code.  Also,
English obviously isn't his first language, which means you have to be
careful not to assume that the literal interpretation is the only
possible intended one.

I think we've scared him off though, so we may never find what the real
problem was and why the C# constraint existed.  Although weird
constraints are sometimes an indication of homework exercises, my gut
feeling is this is more a case of corporate policy.