[ntp:questions] Preffered OS for a GPS based stratum 1

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Sun Nov 2 15:20:55 UTC 2008

Unruh wrote:
> clock, and how much is inherent I do not know. But since the clock on Linux
> is 1usec quantization and the accuracy of my gps is 1 usec, I figure this
> is about as good as it gets. I doubt that you can get consistant reading of
> the cpu clock even from the kenrel to better than about 1us, whether on
> linux or on BSD.

Famous last words? :-)

PHK has setup several FreeBSD-based refclocks that measure out well
below the 1 us level, i.e. take a look at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/

A quote from that page:

"Current status is that I can track my GPS receiver into a band less
than 150 nsec wide around true UTC. This is an order of magnitude better
than any other UNIX system I know of. My performance is probably even
better than that, but I have not had much chance to validate it yet."

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>