[ntp:questions] Speed of ntp convergence

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 3 22:19:22 UTC 2008

David Woolley wrote:
> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>

>> Your opinion!  The designers/developers evidently disagree.
>
> Designer, singular, as far as these issues are concerned.
>
> At least two new people have disagreed with the designer, recently, on
> the newsgroup, and decided that NTP is unsuitable for their application
> because of its poor startup behaviour.

Ntpd was not intended to be bounced up and down like a basketball and I
doubt very much that startup speed was a design consideration.  As my
systems tend to run for months between reboots, the startup behavior of
ntpd is not terribly important to me.

If, for some reason, you must reboot your systems daily and you need an
accurate clock within seconds of booting, you will just have to find a
tool better suited to the job than ntpd.