[ntp:questions] ntpd just doesnt sync (but ntpdate does!)

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Fri Nov 14 22:51:28 UTC 2008

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Marc Logemann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> believe it or not. After SOME HOURS .... now my server sync with the
>> uplink NTP Server. Really dont understand why it needs that long to
>> get the correct sync status.
>>

> Perhaps NTPD is more concerned with accuracy than with speed of
> convergence.  Others have complained that ntpd converges slowly

This wasn't a convergence issue.  However, as the OP doesn't seem to be
prepared to provide the appropriate diagnostics to debug it, we are
probably never going to know for certain, although the two mutual
falsetickers theorem makes a lot of sense, even if it shouldn't happen
if both sources trace to real reference clocks.