[ntp:questions] Isolated Network Drift Problem

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Mon Nov 24 21:55:55 UTC 2008

Steve Kostecke wrote:

> Based on my _actual_ _tests_ (which, again, I have yet to see you deign
> to conduct) ...

I only have one machine at home, although I guess that would be enough
to confirm that the dispersion diverges.  I have no current mandate to
experiment with ntpd in the office and I'm not sure that I could get two
machines where it could safely be reconfigured.

> Several hours of testing have shown that only releases after (and
> including) 4.2.5p101 are usable as stand alone Orphan Servers (e.g. in a
> time island).

I think it very likely that the person with the original problem wasn't
using such a recent version.  In fact, they were using 4.2.2p1.

As the original thread has expired, I've emailed the originator with a
link to you latest article.

The OP of the current thread seems to have forgotten to identify the
version, but my bets would be it being before your first working version.