[ntp:questions] "ntpd -q" is slow compared to ntpdate

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Mon Oct 20 01:29:00 UTC 2008

>>> In article <pSPKk.2611$%%2.750 at edtnps82>, Unruh <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> writes:

Unruh> Using sntp as a name is not a good idea. I got very confused
Unruh> when I originally thought that sntp was a client only protocol. Then
Unruh> I discovered that it was both a client only protocol AND an atomic
Unruh> clock server proptocol. And now it is the name of "set the clock once
Unruh> and quickly" program as well.  That stikes me as a mess. Maybe it
Unruh> stikes noone else as a mess which is fine. But as I found from my
Unruh> acting as a sysadmin, if noone complains, I have no idea what
Unruh> stupidities I have institututed, or where things are broken.

'sntp' seems to me to be a fine name for a program that implements the
client-side protocol that sets the time once and quickly.

If somebody wants to create an SNTP daemon and connects it to a time
reference, I would think 'sntpd' would be a good name for that.

I don't see the need for the 'sntpd' program  described in the
implementation, but if that becomes useful it can certainly be added.
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!