[ntp:questions] Leap second quirk

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Tue Oct 21 23:10:04 UTC 2008

Two of my systems injected leap seconds at the end of Aug and Sep.
A couple of others didn't.

I thought I saw some discussion of this, but I can't find it.  Has
anybody else seen this?  Was I dreaming about seeing something here?

Is the bug in the Linux kernel for not waiting until December, or
should ntpd wait until December before telling the kernel?

I think both systems are/were running a recent ntp-dev on a reasonably recent
Linux (2.6) kernel.

I'm watching (noselect) both systems from a third box that didn't have
this glitch.

One did what I expect.  It's clock was off eby a second.  After about 20
minutes it stepped back.

I haven't sorted out what the other one did yet.