[ntp:questions] ntp clients out of sync with server

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Wed Oct 29 23:23:39 UTC 2008

naihong at gmail.com wrote:
> condition change from sys.peer to reject, status also changed
>
>> ntpq -c"rv 46864"
> assID=46864 status=9014 reach, conf, 1 event, event_reach,
> srcadr=10.200.98.51, srcport=123, dstadr=10.200.98.110, dstport=123,
> leap=00, stratum=5, precision=-20, rootdelay=0.000,
> rootdispersion=1175.797, refid=127.0.0.1, reach=377, unreach=0,
                  ^^^^^^^^

rootdispersion is too high.  The way that orphan mode was explained to
me that shouldn't be possible.  I believe that orphan mode should set a
fixed, but random, value which is significantly less than 1 second.

I wonder if it is spuriously aging the root dispersion in orphan mode.
Or is orphan mode just being more honest (and therefore not supporting
time islands).  Would one of the orphan mode advocates like to comment?

One side issue is that there isn't a Meinberg version of NTP, only a
Meinberg installer for the Windows NT build of the reference implementation.

> hmode=3,
> pmode=4, hpoll=8, ppoll=8, flash=400 peer_dist, keyid=0, ttl=0,
                                        ^^^^^^^^^

Peer dist[ance too high] is telling you the same thing.