[ntp:questions] Finding out where ntpd gets its ntp.conf file

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Thu Sep 4 20:52:25 UTC 2008

Steve Kostecke wrote:
> On 2008-09-03, Joseph Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Read the "service" shell script.  It appears to get its file paths from
>> environment variables named after the thing being started and stopped
>> and accessible only in the root environment; this bit of RHEL-specific
>> structure is being chased down.  (Does anyone know where this is
>> documented?)
>
> On Linux OSes init scripts are typically found in /etc/init.d/ or
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/ Look for one named ntp (or something containing ntp).

I believe service is just a front end to those scripts, so I presume
that, by "service shell scripts" he is referring to those scripts.  The
problem he is having is that they probably source files (bash . command)
files containing shell variable definitions from the master
configuration directory, maintained by the, typically GUI, configuration
tools.  I suspect he hasn't realised that is is sourcing thesse files.

Note that not all Linux distributions use this style of startup script,
some are based on a more historical style of /etc/rc.